Arnold Schönberg Center - Composition Workshop
5th COMPOSITION WORKSHOP FOR YOUNG COMPOSERS BETWEEN 12 AND 18 YEARS OF AGE
After four successful Composition Workshops, which have shown the great compositional potential of young people, the Arnold Schönberg Center, in cooperation with Helmut Schmidinger, composer and visiting professor for composition pedagogy at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz (KUG), is once again inviting six young composers between the ages of 12 and 18 to Vienna.
The 5th Composing Workshop is dedicated to the instrumentation octet (vl1, vl2, va, vc, fl, kl [E-flat, B-flat, A, bass clarinet and basset horn], cor, pno).
The language of the workshop is exclusively German!
Helmut Schmidinger, Conductor
Composer and visiting professor for composition pedagogy/KUG
The Composing Workshop offers
- contact with like-minded young people who share a passion for composing
- Encounter with the work or the estate of Arnold Schönberg (guided tour, exhibition visit, "library talk")
- Small group lessons
- Development and intensive rehearsals of own works with professional musicians
- As a finale and highlight, the works of the young composers will be premiered by a professional ensemble in a public concert on Sunday, January 21st, 2024, at 11 am.
- Free participation in the composing workshop and meals during the course for the selected youth. (Travel and accommodation expenses are borne by the participants themselves).
Application until June the 23rd 2023
Young composers between 12 and 18 years of age apply with:
- a sketch of a work (handwritten or computer-generated, max. playing time: 5 minutes, no electronics). All combinations from solo to octet (vl1, vl2, va, vc, fl, kl [E-flat, B-flat, A and bass clarinet, basset horn], cor, pno) are eligible.
- a completed composition in free instrumentation
- the application form
Six young composers will be selected by July 7, 2023.
The 5th Composing Workshop will take place in two consecutive work phases, which can only be attended together:
Friday, November 17 to Sunday, November 19, 2023.
Friday, 19 to Sunday, 21 January 2024
On the final day of the workshop, the young composers will perform their works in a public concert with a professional ensemble.
Johannes Fleischmann, Joanna Ruseva, violin | Marta Potulska, viola | Philipp Comploi, cello | Wolfgang Zuser, flute | Stefan Neubauer, clarinet | Reinhard Zmölnig, horn | Eunhye Kim, piano
A big thanks to the Team of the Arnold Schönberg Center for the great collaboration!